Day 15 of the Vegan ChallengeSeptember 15, 2009
Yesterday I ate:
– Leftover vanilla spice pancakes, topped with peanut butter, raspberry jam, and strawberries (I started off with the jam, but then decided it was too sweet, so I switched to strawberries for the last few pancakes).
– Super thick strawberry milkshake with 1 cup unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze, 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1/2 frozen banana, drizzle of lemon juice, sprinkle each of wheat germ and flaxseed meal, and a few drops of vanilla extract. Using frozen fruit is key to a quality milkshake.
– 1 banana with 2 tbsp FitNutz Pro and about 1 tbsp almonds. As far as I know both FitNutz and PB2 are vegan. Please tell me if you’ve heard differently!
– Salad with romaine lettuce, Swiss chard, cucumber, nori (thanks for the idea, Sophia!) tomato, strawberries, and the last of that quinoa/bean/veggie pilaf
– Spaghetti with beanballs (recipe in The Veganomicon), using all-natural Vegetable Fettuccine from Whole Foods, and another apple. The beanball recipe is excellent. I made quite a large batch and I can easily see myself popping beanballs as a quick snack, with or without the spaghetti. I think we can officially say that I like beans now. Except refried beans. And baked beans.
– Sandwich with 1 slice Yves deli “turkey”, romaine lettuce, tomato, and mustard on homemade bread, and 1 apple
– 2 big crimini mushrooms with hummus and a small handful of strawberries
Fun Fact: I don’t actually like mustard. But usually I’d have hummus and cream cheese as a spread on sandwiches. The lack of cheese has me eating mustard these days. It’s not too bad, but it’s no garlic and herb cream cheese or Laughing Cow light.